Zenkaikon Forums

Official Zenkaikon Discussion Boards

Shopshoppe

Any discussions welcome here!
Other groups/events welcome to post here with announcements!

Shopshoppe

Postby midorijen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:05 am

Hey there residents of Philly & surrounding areas.

Do we have a shop/store geared towards the otaku crowd in this area? Where one can get his/her otaku shopping done? Where are the figurines, Gundam Model kits, Cosplay and/or Lolita Bible magazines, cosplay accessories, random and sometimes useless knickknacks (which are usually oh-so-cute), manga IN JAPANESE, quirky cellphone straps, etc???

If NOT, would you like one? And what would you like to see in it? :D

I am planning to open a brick& mortar store filled with the fantasticness of Japan. Ranging from media (magazines, manga, CDs, etc.) to bento gear and possibly hard-to-acquire lolita and current subculture apparel. I've started scouting around for resources but I'd like to know what my crowd would like to see when they walk into a shop geared towards them. This store will be a spectrum of current Japanese pop culture.

So tell me what you would like to see in a shop that you can actually walk into? What magazines do you want to see on the racks? What music selection to choose from? Posters? Etc.?

ALSO, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. How would you feel about a shop in Center City, where transportation (public) is easily accessible?

*Please understand this shop may not be open for another year (or more) since I am currently still planning, obtaining all the necessary documents, etc.

**Also, I am fully aware of the shop OMOI in Rittenhouse (and have been there quite a few times myself). I feel that is is more geared towards the Japan-inspired hipster so to speak... Not quite for those looking for funkyfunky and anime/manga related.
midorijen
Otaku

Re: Shopshoppe

Postby Kirsehn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:37 am

I don't think there is currently any store like what you've described around here, which I've always thought was a shame given how we are in a major metropolitan area. As you've mentioned, there is OMOI, and the Fye in Center City has a small selection of manga, cosplay accessories, posters, and T-shirts. When I'm not at cons, I tend to buy most of my anime at Best Buy (I'm in their rewards program), and most of my manga at Barnes & Noble. I generally wait until cons to do shopping for other types of stuff, because it isn't very available otherwise.

This is all to say, I think it would be great if you opened a store in the area to cater to the needs of otaku :) I think, if you can afford it, Center City would be a prime location because of its accessibility and the fact you'll get a lot of walk-by traffic.

As for types of stuff I usually buy, it is mostly anime, manga, OSTs from anime (or CDs for Japanese artists I like), wall scrolls and posters, and T-shirts and messenger bags. I could see figures and knick-knacks being very successful also, as well as perhaps Japanese games that aren't available in the US. I don't personally buy a lot of cosplay accessories, but I know there are folks who do, so it would be handy to have a local supplier.

One other random suggestion, if you have the space, is to perhaps have a "chill" area where friends, meet up groups, clubs, etc. could come to hang out. I know there are a variety of otaku-related groups in the area, and if they utilized the space, you would have a regular influx of folks who are already interested in your wares and may be tempted to buy ;)
Head of Communications 2009-2014
Secretary 2013-2014
Board of Directors 2011-2014
Zenkaikon Staff since 2008!

Zenkaikon on Facebook | Zenkaikon on Twitter | Zenkaikon Blog
Kirsehn
Zenkaikon Cheerleader ^_^

Postby midorijen » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 pm

@Kirsehn Thank you so much for an indepth reply! Will DEFINITELY take your suggestions and requests into account :D

OK, so I'll be saving up for a little while for a Center City location then. There were others I was considering that were a little suburbanite but were fairly accessible. Thanks for the CC vote!

The thing with multi-media I've been wary about is that it gets EXPENSIVE really FAST. Especially games that are expensive as it is in the US, acquiring the Japanese version can end up costing double! BUT if there is a LARGE demand for things like games, I can definitely work to provide it. As for CDs/DVDs...this is tricky. These too can end up costing a LOT. As a fan myself, out of all the bands I listen to, I only collect CDs for about 3 of them...because CDs cost like $27+ I'm sure most people end up DLing them...gyah. BUT again, if there IS a demand, I will stock.

How do you guys feel about a trade-in program for CDs? You trade in your (gently) used CDs/DVDs and get credit for them. People can purchase used CDs/DVDs for a cheaper price. I'll have to work out the kinks for this one.

You have no idea how many ideas I have for a shop like this :D Space permitting, I'm aiming to have a small lounge area and possibly a beverage cooler and purikura machine (when I can locate one to purchase). There are ideas for lolita tea parties, possible show/movie screenings, cosplay workshops, multimedia swaps, etc. There will be lots of reasons to be at this shop :D If there any suggestions for activities, I welcome the input!
midorijen
Otaku

Postby midorijen » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

For those members of FaceBook, please stop by our page and give us some FEEDBACK (in the Discussion threads) on what you would like us to stock :D

Click here for MiyuMart's FB page
midorijen
Otaku

Return to Off-Topic Discussion