Online entries only! Please read thoroughly! If you don't, you may be disqualified. How will we know you didn't read the rules? I guess you’ll have to read the rules to find out.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, April 6, 2014 11:59 PM EST
There will be no extension beyond this date!
All entries must be submitted no later than this.
Any entry arriving later will not be considered, so make sure to get them in as soon as possible!
** If you know your entry will be a day or two late, you must contact me before the deadline passes. **
Contact the AMV Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Yes, this is also where to send your entries.
Please use Mediafire, Google Drive, or DropBox and send the download link to this email address.
There will be six categories this year:
- Upbeat / Dance
- Romance / Sentimental
- Most Annoying**
** It's back! Whether you laughed or cringed or cried out asking us why we hate you, you know you loved this one! Anything from horrible edits, excruciatingly repetitive songs, old memes, and all things that make people wonder when the pain will end are fair game. Do your worst and make us regret this category!
The audience will vote for the top videos in each category as well as Viewers Choice.
Other special awards include:
- Best in Show (our judging panel's award for best overall video)
- Coordinator's Choice
- Con Chair Award
Once the deadline passes and we have all entries, the AMV staff will screen them to determine the field of finalists.
The screening will utilize a fairly strict scoring system.
Your entry must pass a quality check (sound clarity and video quality, mainly).
Then it will be judged on several technical factors, although entertainment value is extremely important.
No one on the screening panel will be shown or told the name / identity of any of the creators.
Once all the numbers are in, the math will be done and the highest-scoring entries will pass on to the finals (posted one week before the convention).
You must include a separate form for each AMV that you submit. It must accompany the download link as an attachment in the email you send.
The form should be nothing more than a normal .txt file (use NotePad) that contains the following information:
- Full legal name
- Nickname / Studio name (if applicable)
- Mailing address (please include city, state / province, and ZIP code)
- Telephone number (including area code)
- Email address
- Title of AMV
- Song title(s) and artist(s)
- Name of source video footage
You must include all of that information before your video will be considered for the contest. If you are unsure about any of the source information (anime, song titles, etc) please look it up, as it is all crucial information. Google is your friend.
Please name your files in this format:
- Video: "category – your name – video title.avi"
- Info: "category – your name – video title.txt"
All submissions must meet the following standards:
- At least 720 x 480 resolution (up to 1080p)
- 29.97 fps -OR- 23.976 fps
- Non-Interlaced video (Progressive scan)
- Stereo sound
The following formats will be accepted, provided that they meet the above standards:
- MPEG 2
- HuffYUV avi
- Lagarith avi
- Uncompressed avi
- XVid AVI
- MP4 (must be h264 or x264 compression – no exceptions)
- Uncompressed wav (PCM)
- MPEG audio (mp3, mp2, etc.)
- This should go without saying, but plagiarism will not be tolerated! If you are caught violating this rule, you will be disqualified and banned from entering future Zenkaikon AMV contests.
- All entries *must* conform to the formats listed above.
- No Bumpers or Credits will be permitted! We will provide MTV-style info blocks at the beginning and end of each finalist entry during the contest screenings.
- A maximum of three submissions per person, one per category, is allowed.
- Entries must be at least 45 seconds in length and not to exceed 5m30s running time. They must contain at least 75% Japanese animation. Live action is allowed as long as your video remains mostly anime / video game. If you do use video game sources, make sure they are Japanese-produced. Also...no more than a total of 15 seconds of original audio from your source video will be allowed!
- Do not enter a video if it has won three major awards (best of category, viewers choice, best in show). If you enter several contests and your video wins its third award after the Zenkaikon 2014 submission deadline has passed, it will not count against you.
- ** Important! ** This contest will be viewed by a general audience (all-ages) so try and maintain a PG-rating. Absolutely NO sexual content (this should be obvious), excessive violence (disembowelments, organs, amputations, etc), or profanity will be permitted. Anything that is questionable will be shown to both the judging panel and convention chair for further review. Bottom line: the convention chair has the Final Word!
- Your video will be returned to you for alteration or disqualified if there are any logos, watermarks, or fan-produced subtitles – check your work before submitting! You are allowed to produce your own subtitles (typically song lyrics or parody).
- All entries must be accompanied by a completely filled-out submission form (see above). We can't stress this enough!
- Submissions with significant audio or visual degradation will not be accepted. (PROTIP: Do not make AMVs with downloaded video or poor-sounding audio.)
- Prizes will be presented during a formal award show yet to be scheduled. If the contestant is not attending the convention or must leave before the award show, their awards will be mailed out after the convention courtesy of Zenkaikon. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
- DVD copies of the contest will not be available due to legal concerns.
- Zenkaikon is not responsible for lost, misdirected, or damaged entries, prizes, etc.
- We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason. Rules are subject to change. If any major changes are necessary to make your entry suitable for screening, we will contact you as soon as possible.
- All members of the Zenkaikon AMV Staff and judging panel are prohibited from entering this contest. They may still submit their videos to be shown during the non-competitive exhibition.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com for more details.
Bring us your best and tell your friends who edit AMVs that we're up and running.